Wednesday, November 21, 2012

My First Tutorial!

 
I am really excited about this project, it is an easy and cute little clutch. I made one this summer, hand sewing it all together, and decided to make some as gifts for the girls who attended the class I had been teaching. But with making five of them I thought the process would go faster if I machine stitched them together, and they turned out great!
 
What you need:
1 sheet of craft felt for the body (I found some fun printed and imprinted felt for this project)
Small coordinating pieces of felt for flower leaves and center
1 foot of ribbon
1 snap fastener
Accent thread
Hot glue

 
Directions:
1.You could cut the felt for the body in any size or orientation you want, for what I was doing I cut the sheet in half lengthwise.


2.Round one end of the piece.
 
3.Make flower pattern by drawing a six point star, then draw your petals around the six points to get them nearly even.
 

 
4.Cut out a felt flower using the pattern you just made.
  
5.Then take your felt flower put it on a larger piece of felt and cut around the first flower about an 1/8 of an inch, to make a slightly larger flower. (You can use two colors for your flower or do a two tone which turns out really neat)
6.Cut out a leaf pattern which is flat on the bottom, and place the flat side along a fold when cutting out the felt so you have two leave which are connected. The leaves will get folded to the desired angle so they don't come out on opposite sides of the flower.
 
 
 
7. Cut out a small circle for the center, I used the scraps from step 2 to get the centers for some of the flowers.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
8.Fold the large felt piece to the dimensions you like. Fold the ribbon in half and place inside the folded felt, coming out at an angle from the top. Pin in place, adjusting the length to fit over your hand or the hand of the person you are making it for.
 
 
 
 
 
 
9.Sew down the sides. I used the multi-stitch zig-zag: width 3.5 stitch length 0.6 on my machine to achieve the look I wanted. Play around on some scrap felt and try different stitches until you get a look you like.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
.
10.Turn clutch over and sew around the rounded flap, so when the flap is folded down the stitching looks nice on top
 
 
  
 
 
 
 
11.Place snap fastener where desired and attach according to manufacture directions.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
12.Sew small center onto flowers, I found it easier to manually turn the hand wheel on my machine so I could better control where the stitches went since the circle was so small. Hot glue the leaves to the flower. Hot glue the flower onto the flap covering the snap, and enjoy your adorable little clutch!
 
 
 
 
 
 
These would be a great gift for a young or teen girl in your life. You could even make it using the full sheet of felt and it would be more your typical clutch size. So many options, so have fun! And have a blessed Thanksgiving!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment